Sorry this is a private party, log in or register
to get your name on the list.

HomeRD WebsiteCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
The forum is under immense reconstruction at the moment, but new members are still welcome to register
Newly registered members should start by making an introduction thread.
Any other thread they attempt to make will be locked until an introduction has been made.
All users with zero posts will be removed at the end of the month.
If you have any ideas, hit up the admins in the chat or shoot them a PM.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm
Latest topics
» Happy Birthday to TDP
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm by CallousVulpix

» It's time for RD to revive
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 pm by AngryBadger

» Hello boys and girls
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 pm by AngryBadger

» Rapid Dissension Skype chat group
Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm by Chozo

» How did Rosalina get in over Daisy
Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:55 am by ~Momentai~

» Sound Off?
Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 pm by Chozo

» Requesting a Smash Meeting
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:10 pm by StarGalaxy777

» SSB4 3DS
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 am by AngryBadger

» We need an SSB4 section.
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:40 am by AngryBadger

» Do people still even sign up for this site?
Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 am by Conway

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 1334-0833-5623

PostSubject: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

As I'm sure we all know by now, while dashing you can simply flip up your c-stick and do a sliding up smash with most characters (some don't slide). This is called a hyphen smash. It is very effective for getting in quick underneath an airborne opponent and dealing some punishment. Unfortunately, at this point only n00bs will consistently get raped by this (it does happen to everyone though; mindgamez).
However, there is another way to pull off this sliding up smash with more speed and distance: the DACUS. DACUS is an acronym for Dash Attack-Cancel Up Smash. Basically what you do is start a dash attack, but cancel it and do an upsmash instead. You preserve your momentum while you smash, and you can even charge it up. The easiest character to do it with is Snake, which is why this technique is also known as Mortar Sliding. Every character can do it, but not all gain any kind of benefit from it.
The basic method is as follows:
1) Dash
2) Slam (or tap) your c-stick down like you're doing a dash attack
3) Press up on the control stick while pressing Z (same timing as doing a smash attack)
If you perform it correctly, you should be able to do a devastating DACUS. Here is link to a video tutorial if you still need help.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

The exception to this rule is Sheik. For some reason pressing up+Z doesn't work for her, so you have to press up+A (or any button you may have set to attack). One way to do it is to set L to attack and use it.

Here is a link to the AiB guide. I'm out of time for now.

Last edited by TheMasterDusk on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : don't use links: just put up the video)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 1161-0480-7751

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 am

I call it Snakedashing, never heard of Mortar Sliding. It's cool to do, but unreliable for mii because I only use the Nunchuck, and it's a bit harder to execute, but I still manage to do it at times. With Sheik it is the most difficult thing to do in the game (even tougher than beating Boss battles on Intense). But I've done it once, and damn did she slide far..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeroforce14
TheDarkPlumber2.0
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 4426 1734 7606

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

I really need to get into the habit of doing practicing these things... bah, I'm still such a newb when it comes to all the jargon of the Smash World. May have to keep this thread up as I'm playing brawl next time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TROGINATOR
Junior

Male
Brawl FC : 4081-5224-6467

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:00 am

TheDarkPlumber2.0 wrote:
I really need to get into the habit of doing practicing these things... bah, I'm still such a newb when it comes to all the jargon of the Smash World. May have to keep this thread up as I'm playing brawl next time...

I don't think I can sum up my feelings any better than that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AngryBadger
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 3051-5262-4330

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Learning how to do this and executing it in battle will up your game more then you think with characters that can benefit from it.

Surgeon General Approved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CallousVulpix
Hunter

Female

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 am

That first link doesn't work. [Only admins are allowed to see this image] Also I really don't care how to DACUS since I only brawl for fun. [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dragoniterider.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/CallousVulpix/
TROGINATOR
Junior

Male
Brawl FC : 4081-5224-6467

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

I kinda do want to learn how to do all these things, but I doubt I ever will. Once upon a time, I would've been excited about brawling with a bunch of new people, but having no interent for a year and some kills your enthusiasm. 'Specially when you just bought a ton of WiiWare games, and are more focussed on those than anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Since nobody goes out to read up on AT's, I guess I'll just start bringing them here. Hopefully everyone can learn the main ones, or at least recognize and look out for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
TheDarkPlumber2.0
Hunter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 pm

For the most part, I'm not too concerned with these advance techs just yet... although I did manage to mortar slide with some consistency. I'll be working on my meta game with characters before I make them cry at my failed attempts to be fancy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 am

TheDarkPlumber2.0 wrote:
I'll be working on my meta game with characters before I make them cry at my failed attempts to be fancy.

That's always good TDP, just work on actually playing nicely with your characters rather than being some kid who uses cheap tricks and dies from self destruct.
Yep, These Advanced techniques come after you have learned the basic techniques, if that wasn't already obvious to anyone you out there.
Back to top Go down
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 pm

flamemetal3 wrote:
TheDarkPlumber2.0 wrote:
I'll be working on my meta game with characters before I make them cry at my failed attempts to be fancy.

That's always good TDP, just work on actually playing nicely with your characters rather than being some kid who uses cheap tricks and dies from self destruct.
Yep, These Advanced techniques come after you have learned the basic techniques, if that wasn't already obvious to anyone you out there.

I honestly don't think that anyone here doesn't already know basic techniques, and even if they don't, that they would think some AT is magically going to ensure them victory. Anyone like that won't last long in this clan.
Of course once you have basic control, skill, and strategy, it doesn't hurt to work some AT's into your game, that way they grow into your playstyle, coming out quickly and naturally whenever the opportunity to use them arises. It also helps with coordinating you movements in regular play, just because of the kind of timing you need to acquire in order to achieve results with most AT's.
Even if you don't choose to use AT's, you can at least take a look at them and how they are used, that way someone doesn't take you by surprise with them.
Back to top Go down
CallousVulpix
Hunter

Female

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:59 am

Triforce Of Chozo wrote:
flamemetal3 wrote:
TheDarkPlumber2.0 wrote:

I honestly don't think that anyone here doesn't already know basic techniques, and even if they don't, that they would think some AT is magically going to ensure them victory. Anyone like that won't last long in this clan.
Of course once you have basic control, skill, and strategy, it doesn't hurt to work some AT's into your game, that way they grow into your playstyle, coming out quickly and naturally whenever the opportunity to use them arises. I stuck this in the middle of the quote just to prove barely anyone looks at the quote. Also if you go down and read down there for a second.... You done? Okay. Let's just say Badger is not filled with such logic. It also helps with coordinating you movements in regular play, just because of the kind of timing you need to acquire in order to achieve results with most AT's.
Even if you don't choose to use AT's, you can at least take a look at them and how they are used, that way someone doesn't take you by surprise with them.

It makes sense but is anyone besides me gonna read it? Ahhhh Chozo filled with such logic, sometimes I forget what it's like to have him at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dragoniterider.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/CallousVulpix/
TheDarkPlumber2.0
Hunter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Baby steps, just like Chozo said. I've got all this time to improve, no need to rush.

Although I have been looking at combo videos for different characters. It's good to know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:21 pm

Ay, can someone list all the characters who can actually do this DACUS, because I want to know who I should use my time trying it with.
Back to top Go down
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 am

flamemetal3 wrote:
Ay, can someone list all the characters who can actually do this DACUS, because I want to know who I should use my time trying it with.

I put in a link to the AiB article about it, it lists all of the characters that can do it.
Of course, I guess I could just list them here, as well as a rating for how useful I find each one.
--Note that technically everyone can do it, but it is only beneficiary for some--
Sheik *****
Wario ****
Jigglypuff ****
Link ****
Fox ***
Falco ***
Wolf **
Snake *****
Sonic **
Captain Falcon *
Pikachu *

Also, there is a technique with Squirtle called Hydroplaning that I'll go over tomorrow in another thread.
Back to top Go down
StarGalaxy777
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 3781-0731-7137

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Triforce Of Chozo wrote:
flamemetal3 wrote:

I put in a link to the AiB article about it, it lists all of the characters that can do it.
Of course, I guess I could just list them here, as well as a rating for how useful I find each one.
--Note that technically everyone can do it, but it is only beneficiary for some--
Sheik *****
Wario ****
Jigglypuff ****
Link ****
Fox ***
Falco ***
Wolf **
Snake *****
Sonic **
Captain Falcon *
Pikachu *

Also, there is a technique with Squirtle called Hydroplaning that I'll go over tomorrow in another thread.

Ive learned that, I just cant do it on command....sometimes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invalid.Construct <3
Drifter

Male
Brawl FC : 3909-7302-4661

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Tue May 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Sheik's got the best DACUS in the game, imo, except for it being really hard to do, great distance, speed, power, and of course surprise factor. Pretty sure I've done it with an up+z also, after about a million tries...

Also I feel like Falco's is better than Fox's, 1) because Falco can actually hit with his dash attack and still cancel, and 2) because (if memory serves) Fox gets about the same distance out of hyphen smash.

Wolf's is pretty great also, except again difficult timing.

Anyway, I suppose this type of rant is better left for the folks at AiB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Tue May 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Invalid.Construct <3 wrote:
Anyway, I suppose this type of rant is better left for the folks at AiB.

The people over at AiB are faggots, and are only good for trolling. I tried to rant against a blog in which someone stated the BEST strategy against MK was displayed by a SoCal Falco: run away, laser camp, CG. The OP decided to try and flame me for it, but was too stupid to win the argument.
Back to top Go down
Invalid.Construct <3
Drifter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Wed May 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Oh man! I came up with something that has me all excited! Like the Sheik video suggests, changing your controls can make DACUS easier, except instead of changing L to attack try changing Z to attack. Many of them will be a lot easier to pull off, I could do many that were impossible for me before (although none of those are really useful, possible exception of MK). I found Sheik's, Jiggs, Wolf's, and Wario's in particular were much easier to do with this method. Falco's was weird though, somewhat harder to do, could no longer hit with dash attack before canceling into up smash (normally is easier to cancel into up-smash if you hit with dash attack) , however seemed to get more distance using this set up. Also makes it a bit safer to fail with tether grabbing characters as there's no risk of accidentally performing a grab and leaving yourself open

I recommend switching Throw to X or Y (whichever you don't use as much for jumping) if you use this method. There are some weird side effects to this though, in particular, if you hit "grab" while crouched you'll do an attack, and if you buffer your grab into the standing up animation you'll do a jab instead of a grab. Of course it also makes "Z"-airs somewhat easier to do, but it might still take some practice to get used to.

Enjoy! (or not, but good hunting in any case)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Wed May 19, 2010 3:18 pm

An interesting control scheme, I don't know why no one has ever mentioned this before. I guess we all like our grabs more than our DACUS.
I'll have to see if this does in fact make Sheik's DACUS easier.
Back to top Go down
AngryBadger
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 3051-5262-4330

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 am

Congrats IC you just gave me my new control scheme, nice find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invalid.Construct <3
Drifter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Yes. I am awesome. Sorta. *bow*

On a side note, I still occasionally hit Z when chain grabbing, and then feel silly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sat May 22, 2010 2:47 am

Well...there's no X or Y button on the Wii remote so I'm out on this one.
Back to top Go down
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   Sat May 22, 2010 10:57 am

flamemetal3 wrote:
Well...there's no X or Y button on the Wii remote so I'm out on this one.

That sucks. You don't play with the GC controller, or even the classic controller?
It's a proven fact that GC controller is the best you can get for smash. The button input system is faster (it's wired better) and there's no relay lag, since it's connected by a hardwire rather than a wireless connection. I understand if you can't get ahold of anything else, but... Yeah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash   

Back to top Go down

DACUS vs. Hyphen-Smash
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1