Sorry this is a private party, log in or register
to get your name on the list.

HomeRD WebsiteCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
The forum is under immense reconstruction at the moment, but new members are still welcome to register
Newly registered members should start by making an introduction thread.
Any other thread they attempt to make will be locked until an introduction has been made.
All users with zero posts will be removed at the end of the month.
If you have any ideas, hit up the admins in the chat or shoot them a PM.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm
Latest topics
» Happy Birthday to TDP
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm by CallousVulpix

» It's time for RD to revive
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 pm by AngryBadger

» Hello boys and girls
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 pm by AngryBadger

» Rapid Dissension Skype chat group
Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm by Chozo

» How did Rosalina get in over Daisy
Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:55 am by ~Momentai~

» Sound Off?
Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 pm by Chozo

» Requesting a Smash Meeting
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:10 pm by StarGalaxy777

» SSB4 3DS
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 am by AngryBadger

» We need an SSB4 section.
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:40 am by AngryBadger

» Do people still even sign up for this site?
Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 am by Conway

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

League of Legends: A Basic Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 0946-5576-7124

PostSubject: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Conway. Some know the name and laugh, others cry tears of joy. But where has this enigma of a man been lately? Under the brutal heel of a game only abbreviated as "LoL". This may imply the game is funny, but it is no laughing matter.

So what is this LoL Conway? It falls under the genre of "MOBA" A relatively new and unknown genre in the world of gaming as a whole. The basic gist of it is, you and the rest of your team needs to plow past the enemy teams defenses, break down their inhibitor (more on that later) and blow up their base. Deceptively easy, but with rounds that can drag on to the one hour mark, you never know.

So what makes the game fun? I honestly cant tell you that much, but here's a screen shot
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

This shows a late game teamfight happening in one of the bases, the large building is the nexus, the ultimate goal for both teams. The smaller buildings holding large crystals are turrets, your defenses on the field.

On to some game basics, here's the lowdown on minions.

Every 30 seconds your nexus (and the enemies) will send out a wave of minions toward the enemy base, they each go down three lanes (top mid and bot)

These minions are the backbone of your forces, you want the enemy minions dead so yours can push ahead. The trick is to not push too far into enemy territory without any support, or your easily more exposed for a kill (or gank). Of course this cant be that easy, you've got some opposition.

First and foremost you've got turrets. These bad boys aren't afraid to take out half your health in one hit (at early levels) or do some serious damage late game. So to take them down you put number one and number two together, you use those minions exactly like their name implies. Cannon fodder. These little buggers will distract the turret just for you, and they do it well. While they're getting pounded on (and doing some minor damage) you are free to attack the turret as you please (and hopefully) take it down.

But Conway that sounds way too easy for a hardened brawl veteran like me! Of course it is, why would it be that simple you simpleton? Continued in part 2.

Last edited by Conway on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Part deux   Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm

So now that you've got your basics down. Time to get to some knitty gritty. Enemy champions, you laugh at their feeble attempts to kill you, you rage at their never ending slaughter of your team. This bad mother truckers are out to get you and everything you stand for, and they do it in a jiffy (unless they suck).

So who can you expect to be facing out on the field of battle? That's a bit more complicated question. In the current format there's three modes 5v5, 3v3, and Ranked (Yes this game is very competitive, you may now begin to get interested). So you're going to see anywhere between 5 champions (if everyone has the same) or 10 champions (if everyone is different) each match. Did I mention there's 69 champions and growing? Here's a picture of your choices.
That's not all of them, its an older picture but it gives you an idea. Besides I probably couldn't fit them all on one page.

So you make your selection, get paired up with some friends or some random jack off from around the world (restricted to North America to be a little more realistic) and head out to the field of battle. There's plenty of complicated maneuvers to learn (plus your champions abilities, and your choice of items to buy) but heres some basic ones to give you an idea of what you need to take account of.

First off if you manage to land a killing blow on a minion, you get gold for it. This is extremely important as gold buys items, items win games. This is known as "last hitting" you want to last hit as much as possible as many times as possible.

(I apologize for the lack of pictures in this section, this is a lot of technical crap you need to know)

Harassment is a large factor, if you harass an enemy champion in your lane they may be forced to withdraw or completely go back to their base. Everyone has a no cool down ability called Recall, if you don't get hit for the 5 seconds it takes to cast recall, you are returned to your base where you regain your health and mana, and are able to purchase items.

So in the beginning (at high level play at least) there's the decision as to who goes to what lane, the middle, top, and bottom lanes. This is mainly decided by champion choice. If you are a tank champion (focused on taking damage rather than dealing it) you are 100% better off on the bottom, if you are a support, you generally want to go to the top or bottom (rare cases the middle) if you are a carry (someone who is weak early game, but very strong late game) you want the middle or top.

Why do you want these choices? I'll explain.

League of legends is not restricted to these three simple lanes and the bases, rather there is filler in-between consisting of brush and jungle.

This jungle is populated with all manner of beasties and ghouls (and golems and dragons) that stand around waiting for you to engage a fight with them (you could say they are "neutral") they offer experience and gold, but are by no means an objective..or are they? There's are two big neutral camps and three minor ones. The two big ones are referred to as the ancient golem and the big ol' lizard.

That's the golem, notice the blue swirly's around him? You want those. You manage to kill this mother trucker your gonna get those, and those are good. They increase your mana Regen by 1.5% of your total mana, and reduces all your cool downs. That means more abilities for less cost. That means more hurt for the enemy.

This guy is the Lizard Elder, notice the red swirly's around him? You want those. You manage to kill this boss of reptiles and your gonna get those, those are good. They make your basic attacks slow the enemy, making it harder for them to run. Put on top of that a lovely DoT (Damage over time) that will eat away at their health.

So now you've got that down, let me head back to why lane composition matters. Those monsters are just small fries when you look at these. First and foremost is the reason the bottom lane exists, this is their main job, and their little girl to babysit. Im talking about the dragon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Part three   Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 pm

That guy is why bottom lane is around, thats what you want to kill and pray to the good LoL lord the enemy doesnt get.

Why is this true? Well first off the dragon is borderline touching the bottom lane, his lair is but a few short steps away, this makes them the most effective to slay the beast and prevent the enemy from obtaining him. If you kill him you get a bonus for last hitting (25 gold) and your entire team gets a lovely 190 gold. This goes a long way to getting an item edge on your opponent. Speaking of which.

Items rule the game, this is the major turnoff to the game simply because of the overwhelming amount of choices for a new player, but Fear not! Conway is here to make all that confusion go away.

Your basic items are built around three things, you either want defense, ability power (for mages), or attack power (for fighters). There's also a lovely amount of recommended items that give you a general guideline for your character.

Anyway this is supposed to introduce you to the game, its ending up becoming a guide. I should probably fix that, but a writer will write.

Top lane is made as such because its basically the leftovers of what middle and bottom aren't, its mainly just an accessory, it can guard Baron Nashor, but that's about its only goal in life, and games don't usually last long enough for that to matter.

Oh yes, Baron Nashor. Did I mention there's bigger boys on the block to deal with than the dragon?

That's Baron Nashor. He really is the biggest and baddest kid on the block. It takes a whole team to kill him (with rare rare RARE exceptions) and if you do it, your whole team gets a boost to..everything. You become juggernauts who dominate whosoever may come in your path. Kind of a big deal.

So that leaves the middle lane. Plain and simply the middle lane is designed for leveling. Since the teams are 5v5, one lane has to be the solo lane, one person only. The middle lane is perfect for just such an occasion. With only one person you get double the normal experience, which means you level up plenty faster than anyone else, if you're the teams carry, that means you're in a better positon to deal plenty of damage. Plus being in the middle allows you to more easily head top or bottom for a quick gank.

Last but not least, the inhibitors. If you manage to knock out all the turrets in a lane you get a chance to take out one of these little machines.

If you manage to blow up the enemy inhibitor, your lane begins to spawn regular minions AND super minions every 30 seconds. These super minions are big ol' wrecking balls. They are a force to be reckoned with all their own, and if the enemy doesn't have someone constantly watching these super minions, they WILL destroy the enemy base.

So you've got your jungle, your middle bottom and top lanes, you've got your champion selection, recalling, last hitting, turrets, minions, nexus, buying items, and inhibitors. Did I mention the game is free? Give it a try. You might just like it.

Did I mention it's free?

Play today!
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Last edited by Conway on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 1334-0833-5623

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

I've tried a few training games, but I haven't really had the time to play extensively. That and the fact that I don't have a mouse (which makes it a lot harder than it should be) keep me from playing LoL more.
Maybe in the next few weeks I'll find time to fully explore the depth of gameplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 pm

By no means would I recommend gameplay without a mouse, it could be done but it would be very difficult
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 1161-0480-7751

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Woah, very in-depth game and detailing facts about it Mr. Conway, sir.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeroforce14
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Conway wrote:
By no means would I recommend gameplay without a mouse, it could be done but it would be very difficult

Yeah, the amount of clicking makes it fucking impossible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I couldn't even imagine honestly, most top level players play with hot keys and mainly use the mouse to target and move the camera, I personally click all my individual abilities and use the arrow keys to move my camera. Either way its still a lot of mousework.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Just got a mouse yo.
Back to top Go down
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Mouse it up baby. Mouse it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Moved/rebooted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Momentai~
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 1806-5510-7203
Location : Workin' the corner (coming soon to a neighborhood near you!)

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

tl;dr
I'll get around to this. Someday. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: League of Legends: A Basic Guide   

Back to top Go down

League of Legends: A Basic Guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1