Sorry this is a private party, log in or register
to get your name on the list.

HomeRD WebsiteCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
The forum is under immense reconstruction at the moment, but new members are still welcome to register
Newly registered members should start by making an introduction thread.
Any other thread they attempt to make will be locked until an introduction has been made.
All users with zero posts will be removed at the end of the month.
If you have any ideas, hit up the admins in the chat or shoot them a PM.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm
Latest topics
» Happy Birthday to TDP
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:44 pm by CallousVulpix

» It's time for RD to revive
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 pm by AngryBadger

» Hello boys and girls
Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 pm by AngryBadger

» Rapid Dissension Skype chat group
Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm by Chozo

» How did Rosalina get in over Daisy
Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:55 am by ~Momentai~

» Sound Off?
Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 pm by Chozo

» Requesting a Smash Meeting
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:10 pm by StarGalaxy777

» SSB4 3DS
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 am by AngryBadger

» We need an SSB4 section.
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:40 am by AngryBadger

» Do people still even sign up for this site?
Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 am by Conway

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Not improving? Think about this.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darkmetroidomega
O Captain! My Captain!
O Captain! My Captain!

Male
Brawl FC : 2320-5897-5717

PostSubject: Not improving? Think about this.   Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:35 am

Hey guys, I've been a bit busy lately, but I'm here now to talk about something that I thought of while prescreening potential cv clips for Chozo.

We all get stuck at some time or another. You just can't seem to improve, and you don't know what you're doing wrong. Throw in the towel? How about you take a step back first. Record yourself playing someone if possible. Watch that replay. Think about what you did, when you did it, and why you did it. Chances are, you'll start to see some things you didn't mean to do. If it wasn't a mere error by Wi-Fi, this is a spot for potential improvement. Figure out what would have worked in that situation where you failed to execute your actions properly. Perhaps your spacing needs work? There are so many possibilities where error is encountered. Taking note of these mistakes and fixing them is a path to becoming better. Though slow, it will eventually get you there. Eventually

If, like me, you'd prefer not to take such a long time improving, talk to players who are better. They've been through the early phases, and they can easily help you out. Find people who main your character and get help from them. Let them watch your replay and tell you what you did wrong overall. This is a much more efficient path to becoming good at your character.

Now, before you even need to resort to character-specific help, here's something more important: the fundamentals. How do some of us play multiple characters without much time spent playing them? Simple. Brawl's characters share a very similar set of fundamentals that make up their basic metagame. Mindgames is an enormous factor out of it. Once you can mindgame, you'll be far better. But this is much more self-taught, so I can't really try to explain it in-depth. But there are certain things that most players new to the competitive scene don't know or do, and it keeps them from getting better.
Following is a list of details to help newer competitive players

-Most new players tend to stay on the ground too much. Try to make your aerials a little more of a priority, and eventually you'll find a comfortable balance that works out

-You need to try edgeguarding. I've seen many new players stand near the ledge when they have a perfect setup offstage, and they allow their opponent to come back, which has even resulted in they themselves losing a stock. Your offstage game is important. Here's something interesting about it, too: over 90% of combos end offstage when they kill

-Basic ATs. Brawl has relatively simple ones, but they're still important to know. SH, glidetoss, etc. can all help you improve yourself

-Use your shield. I remember the days I used to use z to grab all the time. This really isn't ideal. The shield is one of the best tools you have in Brawl. Many new competitive players like to be aggro, which isn't always a bad thing, but they neglect a shield; classic scrub move. Try shield-grabbing, practice shielding things and punishing them, and you'll see a large improvement.

-Try not to do the same thing all the time. Dash attack, dash grab, keep doing it until it works. Sounds good, right? Absolutely wrong. You can't just hope something will work if it hasn't been working; you'll get raped. This brings us back to the why. You have to know why you're choosing the move you did. Don't guess, predict. This is the way to start developing reading skills, mindgames, and the ability to control your character far better than before.

~Will come back and edit this post later ~ TMD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/darkmetroidomega
StarGalaxy777
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 3781-0731-7137

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:44 am

TheMasterDusk wrote:
Hey guys, I've been a bit busy lately, but I'm here now to talk about something that I thought of while prescreening potential cv clips for Chozo.

We all get stuck at some time or another. You just can't seem to improve, and you don't know what you're doing wrong. Throw in the towel? How about you take a step back first. Record yourself playing someone if possible. Watch that replay. Think about what you did, when you did, and why you did it. Chances are, you'll start to see some things you didn't mean to do. If it wasn't a mere error by Wi-Fi, this is a spot for potential improvement. Figure out what would have worked in that situation where you failed to execute your actions properly. Perhaps your spacing needs work? There are so many possibilities where error is encountered. Taking note of these mistakes and fixing them is a path to becoming better. Though slow, it will eventually get you there. Eventually

If, like me, you'd prefer not to take such a long time improving, talk to players who are better. They've been through the early phases, and they can easily help you out. Find people who main your character and get help from them. Let them watch your replay and tell you what you did wrong overall. This is a much more efficient path to becoming good at your character.

Now, before you even need to resort to character-specific help, here's something more important: the fundamentals. How do some of us play multiple characters without much time spent playing them? Simple. Brawl's characters share a very similar set of fundamentals that make up their basic metagame. Mindgames is an enormous factor out of it. Once you can mindgame, you'll be far better. But this is much more self-taught, so I can't really try to explain it in-depth. But there are certain things that most players new to the competitive scene don't know or do, and it keeps them from getting better.
Following is a list of details to help newer competitive players

-Most new players tend to stay on the ground too much. Try to make your aerials a little more of a priority, and eventually you'll find a comfortable balance that works out

-You need to try edgeguarding. I've seen many new players stand near the ledge when they have a perfect setup offstage, and they allow their opponent to come back, which has even resulted in they themselves losing a stock. Your offstage game is important. Here's something interesting about it, too: over 90% of combos end offstage when they kill

-Basic ATs. Brawl has relatively simple ones, but they're still important to know. SH, glidetoss, etc. can all help you improve yourself

-Use your shield. I remember the days I used to use z to grab all the time. This really isn't ideal. The shield is one of the best tools you have in Brawl. Many new competitive players like to be aggro, which isn't always a bad thing, but they neglect a shield; classic scrub move. Try shield-grabbing, practice shielding things and punishing them, and you'll see a large improvement.

-Try not to do the same thing all the time. Dash attack, dash grab, keep doing it until it works. Sounds good, right? Absolutely wrong. You can't just hope something will work if it hasn't been working; you'll get raped. This brings us back to the why. You have to know why you're choosing the move you did. Don't guess, predict. This is the way to start developing reading skills, mindgames, and the ability to control your character far better than before.

~Will come back and edit this post later ~ TMD
I tried that once, wasnt much of a advice giver :/
Yeah I noticed this when i went to competitive smash. more SHs and aerials right into the mix
Things I need to improve
Thanks, looking forward to updates on the 411
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 1334-0833-5623

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:56 am

A very good read. We should have you watch dozens of replays more often lol. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
Conway
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 0946-5576-7124

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:32 pm

If you also think about it, (as I'm starting to believe is my case) it can be difficult to tell on your own if you are making a significant improvement. It isn't always about winning more matches meaning you are in fact improving but just your general playing ability. This leads to this: People around you might be improving as well, even those who were already of a higher skill level than yourself, basically meaning while you are getting better so are they, which means your still going to get a beatdown from them.

In a general sense what I'm saying is, you really need to rely on other people to tell you if you are in fact getting better, sometimes you just cant tell on your own.

This concludes Conway's court mandated moment of seriousness. Back to being the sarcastic cynical ******* you know and hate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flamemetal3
Hunter

Male
Brawl FC : 1161-0480-7751

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:15 pm

This was interesting. I like the main points you point out MDusk. Mii personally, don't think I need to advance any more further on this stuff, but I would like to know what the heck an "SH" is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeroforce14
Chozo
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 1334-0833-5623

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm

flamemetal3 wrote:
This was interesting. I like the main points you point out MDusk. Mii personally, don't think I need to advance any more further on this stuff, but I would like to know what the heck an "SH" is.

You want to re-evaluate your second sentence, SH = short hop.
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://triforceofchozo.deviantart.com http://www.youtube.com/user/triforceofchozo
AngryBadger
Order of the Moderado
Order of the Moderado

Male
Brawl FC : 3051-5262-4330

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Seems I never posted on this... Its a great read Dusk hope to see you add on more sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not improving? Think about this.   

Back to top Go down

Not improving? Think about this.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1